Atkins Diet induction phase
There are four phases of the Atkins Diet - induction, weight loss, pre-maintenance and maintenance stages. At the first stage your body adapts to the diet and you start losing weight rapidly. The other phases presuppose slower weight loss process and your ideal weight maintenance during all your life without limitation in food calories. In case the recommended way of life is violated you can always turn to the first phase again.
The rules of the induction phase of the Atkins Diet
- Your carbohydrate consumption shouldn't be more that 20 grams a day.
- It isn't necessary to be attentive to the quantity of food and calories in it. But you should eat when hungry only and stop eating with the first signs of saturation.
- Nevertheless, it's important to avoid forbidden types of food. Even when you are cooking don't taste this food as extra quantity of carbohydrate food can make your dieting pointless.
- The diet consists of different kinds of fat food (olive oil, butter, mayonnaise) and their combination. Their intake is unlimited. But you shouldn't eat food consisting of fat and carbohydrates or protein and carbohydrates as the consumption of carbs is strictly limited.
- all kinds of meat: beef, pork, lamb, bacon etc. (pay attention to the food composition on food package)
- all kinds of fish (tuna fish, salmon, herring etc.)
- all kinds of poultry (chicken, turkey, game etc)
- seafood.Have a look at the ingredients of seafood dishes, they can contain carbohydrates
- eggs cooked without carbs
- cheeese. Have a look at the ingredients of cheese, they can contain carbohydrates.
- salad vegetables ( parsley, dill, chicory, cucumber, paprika etc)
- mushrooms, olives, garlic and so on
- as a salad dressing you may use olive oil with lemon juice or mayonnaise with herbs.
You can eat the following vegetables with some restrictions:
- cabbage, spinach, vegetable marrow, aubergine, asparagus, green peas, avocado, tomato, onion etc.
- sour cream as a salad dressing but including its carbohydrates in the recommended 20 grams of carbs a day.
Drinks: mineral water, sugar-free herbal teas and other sugar- and carbohydrate- free drinks (to make sure study drink composition on its packing). Avoid drinking alcohol during the induction phase of the Atkins Diet, after the first two weeks you can drink alcohol taking into account the quantity of carbohydrates in it.
5. Fruit, starchy vegetables, bread, grain food, sweets are not allowed during the induction phase of the diet if you really want to lose weight.
6. Always consult food description to make sure there are no carbohydrate ingredients even if the food isn't forbidden by the diet.
7. Develop your cooking skills and use your fantasy to make the diet seem more varied and cook tasty nutritious dishes. In a restaurant remember of your diet and your aim to lose weight and look slim. That will stimulate you to choose an appropriate dish.
8. You can take multivitamins with minerals and microelements when dieting.
Note. Remember that starting any diet requires your physician's consultation.